Baked Potato Pizza is the perfect rainy Saturday afternoon pizza, when you're ready for a lazy, heavy meal, a cold beer and quality time with your sofa cushions. You can bake the potatoes solely for the pizza, or use leftovers from another meal. Either way, don't plan to move anywhere for a few hours after dinner.
- Wash 2-3 large russet potatoes (skin on!), wrap in tin foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. OR, shortcut version, puncture the potatoes a few times with a fork and microwave them (without tin foil!) on high for about 10 minutes or until soft inside. Either way, allow the potatoes to cool a bit, then chop them into small cubes and toss them with a mixture of Italian herbs (we like Mrs. Dash's salt-free version).
- (Optional) Pre-cook 2 slices of bacon in a heavy skillet until they just start to get crispy.
TOPPINGS (layered in this order):
- Very Best Pizza Crust Ever, par-baked
- A few dollops of sour cream, spread very thinly over the crust
- The cooked potato cubes, tossed with Italian seasoning
- A handful or two of chopped chives
- (Optional) The bacon, chopped into small bits
- A healthy dose of grated mozzarella cheese (for gooeyness) mixed with a sharp cheddar cheese (for flavor)